Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Desmond Tutu Vows not to Vote:Reflections on Kenya

this is highly personal...I am one of those many people that only think (and actually believe) that news can only be bad news. We have a reason to watch news when mbeki gets recalled from the presidency, when Zuma is set to appear at the Pietermaritzburg (the spelling here always gives me trouble) court or even when we have to watch one of those natural calamities so fond of China and India. Lately, i have not been reading/watching Kenyan news because apparently there is no news. There are no more news about women and children getting burnt in a church, graphic videos of landslides in Meru, Lucy Kibaki slapping Cliffords and so on. Today, I saw Kibaki on SABC international and as usual he stammered through a speech that I could not follow on electricity so I had a reason to check the Kenyan papers just to know what it was about. Well, I checked the papers but never read the story...It was boring...I love real news...Call me a sadist if you will. I have lately opted for the OdD nEwS part of the Standard News as a result because of its black humour.

Well, there are disturbing pieces of information that I find scattered in the papers about currently sitting MPs preparing for 2012 general elections. I just cant believe it! There is nothing wrong with campaigning but really after the 2007 drama, it's still too early to start pulling our pub(l)ic hair. Hearing the Nobel laurate (another one of those problematic words) winner Emeritus Tutu publicly declare that he is not going to vote in SA's 2009 elections scares me. Tutu has seen nothing yet in South Africa...just a little acrobatics in the ANC, which Gwede Montashe tells us, will soon end (By the way, dont you find these chaps daring to want to ask Mbeki to campaign for the ANC?). Well, my problem is suppose Kenyans said, like Tutu, that they will not vote in 2012? At least South African votes are still powerful but kenya...Lol!!! We are all carrying spoiled votes!

I will continue with this later because...

No comments: